Exciting news! Worth1000 is joining the DesignCrowd.com community!

We're delighted to announce that Worth1000 is joining DesignCrowd. DesignCrowd is a marketplace which connects individuals and businesses seeking design with the most creative people on the planet.

As a Worth1000 user, you'll soon have your own free DesignCrowd account, allowing you more opportunities to showcase your talent and earn money from your creative skills than ever before.

Welcome aboard!

Want to learn more? Visit DesignCrowd

Existing User? Login to Worth1000

(Login to access your account, portfolio and current contests)
ahaze1 said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 1:40:07 PM EDT

I don't know why I feel the need to post this, perhaps just to spread my sadness around.

Up until a year and a half ago I lived in San Diego and for a great deal of my ten year career in radio I worked at 101 KGB. The morning show there, Dave Shelly and Chainsaw, has been my favorite since before I ever even considered a career in radio, and DSC (along with Chris Boyer and Ruth 66) are some of the nicest people I've ever meet. This morning my mother called me to let me know that Dave's wife Beth had a heart attack on Saturday and this morning she passed away. She would have turned 40 next month. I only met Beth once, at a company Christmas party. But she and Dave's two young daughters were on the show via phone a great deal over the years. Most regular DSC listeners are familiar with Beth and the girls.

Even though I didn't know her, this morning when I read the first page at www.101kgb.com I sat here at my desk and cried. I can't imagine the pain. This is what it says:

As heard on 101.5 KGB on the morning of 8/13, as read by co-host Cookie "Chainsaw" Randolph
"Over the 13 years that we've been together, we've become a family to each other.

We think of the listeners as our friends. Like friends and family, we are there for each other during the great times, the fun times and sometimes the rough times. Sadly, we are going through a hard time and are turning to each other and our faithful fiends for support and understanding.

Dave's wife, Beth Rickards, suffered a heart attack last Saturday morning (8/9/03) and died today (8/13/03) at or around 5:20 a.m.

Dave spoke with all of us yesterday afternoon for the first time since we first learned of the initial event over the weekend. Dave expressed his wishes as to how we communicate this to you on the airthen this morning he called me and gave us this very sad news and asked me to share it with you today.

Dave will be out indefinitely. While at this point, we expect his eventual return, we encourage him to take all the time he needs to take care of himself and his family, including his two little girls Carly and Allie.

As for us as performers, given all of the choices we have for the short term, we agree with Dave's wishes that we continue to play bits from our huge catalog dating back 13 years now. We ask for your forgiveness and understanding. We believe, for now, that this is the best approach. And we're going to do our best to pick the best bits.

How is Dave doing? It's unimaginable. Beth's parents and sisters are all with Dave, Carly and Allie right now. In fact, coincidently, they all arrived in town last Friday afternoon for a summer visit-so their being here has been a blessing for Dave and the girls. They are all in our thoughts and prayers as they deal with their loss.

Just so you know, during yesterday's conference call (Dave at home and the rest of us on a speaker phone), Chris Boyer said something we all felt and he expressed it perfectly. Allow me to paraphrase Chris: "Dave, by our lack of making contact, please don't think it's for our lack of caring, it was out of consideration to you. Please know that whatever you need, we are there for you."

To which Dave responded: "Who let Boyer in the room?!?"

Some things haven't changed.

Beth Rickards was a great wife, mother, sister and daughter. It's not my place to eulogize, but I can say she was a great friend to us, both personally and on the air.

Her vibrant personality added a wonderful element that we enjoyed over the years.

She will be profoundly missed."

Beth Rickards
10/12/63 - 8/13/03

ahaze1 said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 1:54:08 PM EDT

Whoops, I thought I posted this in the sugar shack. My apologies.

Chicken said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 2:12:06 PM EDT

OMG! Thats horrible! I love the DSC show!!

tiddlycove said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 2:23:11 PM EDT

On 8/13/2003 1:40:07 PM, ahaze1 said:
I don't know why I feel the need to post this, perhaps just to spread my sadness around.

Beth Rickards
10/12/63 - 8/13/03

Ahaze, I don't know what it is about broadcast, but I too have lost a number of friends from the industry who have died 'way too young (I work at a 4-station combo in Vancouver). Most of the friends I've lost were not on-air, including Warren Morgan, LSM for 99.3fm The FOX. The week before he was diagnosed with lung cancer (a lifetime non-smoker), Warren had taken the afternoon off to help me buy a set of golf clubs. This was last Fall. He died in April at age 49, and my biggest regret is that I never got a chance to play a round with him.

The on-air list of too-young casualties is a bit staggering as well. Lots of Canadians remember Rick Honey and Daryl B. (Burlingham), two great jocks who died within days of each other last year, both in their 50's. Terribly sad. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Zerographic said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 5:20:34 PM EDT

Oh my god... I listen to this show almost every night during their re-broadcast. She was such a good sport with him :)

I hope he can make his peace with it at his own pace

afeldman said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 5:27:35 PM EDT

I am in San Diego too. The show is great. It is hard to believe that someone who was so young had a heart attack. She was also in great shape. Just a lesson to us all that life is short and unpredictable.

Chicken said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 5:37:17 PM EDT

...man, Carly and Allie are only 6 and 8 if I remember correctly. I hope eventually Dave can pick up the pieces and get on with his life... :(

TheNomad said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 7:54:05 PM EDT

Ohhhh mannnnnnn. I've been listening to that show for all its 13 years, and reading this hit me like a rock. It is indeed the greatest morning show, that radio has ever seen...and I always enjoyed it when Beth was on from her phone. Dave talked a lot about her too, and it was soooooo obvious that he loved her with his whole heart. I can't believe it still....it can't have happened like this. I can't imagine the pain he is in, and now with just him and the two girls. I pray that God's arms hold Dave and his family up through this, and help to slowly mend their hearts. Amen.

TheNomad said 10 years ago 8/13/2003 8:06:01 PM EDT

For those of you who listen to the show, here is Dave's email address, if you'd like to send condolences... dsc@101kgb.com